Friday, October 14, 2011

The Life of the Librarian TIS October 3-14, 2011

It's the first research season of the school year, so the library is a busy place!  Luckily, my jobs as a library media specialist and a TIS-in-training overlap somewhat.  As students begin their research projects, I train them in using online library catalogs, online research databases through the WV Library Commission, and ebooks. I also help with MLA documentation.  In addition to live training during class, I also provide step-by-step instructions with screen shots and post the necessary links on my web site, which is http://tinyurl.com/whslmc.

In addition to teaching research skills and completing my other librarian duties, I have been working on the blended delivery assignment.  I'm working with one of the science teachers in my school who is using Edmodo as a way to facilitate his semester project.  Over the past few weeks, students have been posting their project ideas, and the teacher and other students provide feedback and help one another narrow and develop the topics.  On my end, I have been sharing tips with the teacher on using Edmodo, and I have contributed to the group by adding a folder of research and technology tools.  I also provided a one-on-one Edmodo training session with a math teacher today, and I'm hoping to get him on board with Edmodo as well.  Within the next few weeks, I'll be providing Edmodo training sessions for the entire faculty. 

I've spent time over the past couple of weeks helping teachers with Edline as well.  I've shown them how to customize reports and how to upload content for students and parents.

I've provided one-on-one training sessions in using Excel, Acuity, and Google applications.  I even helped one of the other science teachers (not the Edmodo user) create a web site using Google sites.  He was so excited--and I was, too! When I taught English, my classroom and my communication with parents and students were transformed once I began using Google sites and linked the site on my Edline course pages.

During my school's instructional support day this past Monday, I showed teachers how to get WebTop accounts and provided a quick overview of the applications and features available to them.  They especially loved the YouTube unblocking feature.  (I also showed them sites like Quietube and Viewpure, which hide the comments on YouTube videos.)  We will be moving to Google calendar for computer lab scheduling, so all teacher are required to create WebTop accounts by our December instructional support day. On that day, I will teach them how to access and modify the computer lab schedules.  We will begin scheduling online in January.  (Right now, we used a shared file on our server.)

I'm looking forward to the Edmodo training sessions I'll be providing to all teacher soon and have participated in an Edmodo webinar to help me prepare. I'm going to try to attend another different webinar this week. The upcoming week will be a tough one for teachers, however, because they will be giving midterm exams and wrapping up the nine-week grading period.

No comments:

Post a Comment