Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Life of the Librarian TIS October 31-November 11, 2011

Over the past two weeks, I spent more time in my roles as a library media specialist and a sysop than a TIS to be honest.  This is a demanding time for research skills as all of the language arts classes are working on research papers.  I assist all of these classes and provide instruction in using catalogs and research databases, in evaluating sources, and in documentation and the ethical use of information.  I've been so busy with this over the past couple of weeks that for several days I have scheduled classes all four blocks and have assisted students during lunch as well.  For many days lately, I haven't had a single moment in the day to work on tasks not related to library and research skills.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've also been facilitating a technology disposal.  It takes a great deal of time to gather, mark, and record equipment teachers no longer need or want. I've been working on the disposal because I recently conducted an in-depth inventory for the Digital Divide report and discovered that old, broken, and unwanted equipment was just sitting around and because I am helping make room for a few new computers, new document cameras, and new MimioTeach devices. Every teacher in my school will be getting a document camera and a MimioTeach device soon.  I will be busy helping everyone learn to use these tools once they arrive.

I've also been helping teachers use their new data projectors, which were recently mounted in their classrooms.  When the projectors were mounted, the technicians did not have VGA splitters because our supplier was out of stock, so they did not connect the computer to the projectors. They did not want teachers to be without their monitors.  Many teachers did not understand how to connect to the projector when they wanted to use it, so I've been helping them figure this out.  I received the VGA splitters Thursday, so next week I will going around to connect them for teachers.  This should make them happy and encourage them to use their projectors more frequently, especially when they get the document cameras and MimioTeach devices.

I have helped some teachers individually with technology training, but I haven't done as much as I would have liked.  Several teachers in my school are taking technology-focused WV Learns courses, so they are coming to me for help.  This past week, I helped people with Google applications, WebTop tools, and Thinkfinity.  I also helped a teacher request that YouTube videos be unblocked for her robotics club. 

This coming week will be an especially busy one for research projects as well, as many language arts teachers try to get their students to a certain point before the Thanksgiving holiday.  I am going to try, however, to set up a one-on-one Edmodo training session with a teacher who is interested in using the site as a way to communicate with her AP students next semester.  

No comments:

Post a Comment