This week I stayed busy with research classes and helped teachers with turnitin.com, which is a plagiarism detection site to which students upload their research papers. Interestingly, I even helped a non-English teacher set up an account on the site (we have a site license). Usually only the English teachers use it, so I was thrilled that someone outside this department is taking steps to encourage students to document and properly cite resources they use in their projects and papers. I hope he shares his experience with the other members of his department.
I also worked on my school's Apex online AP exam review account. My school district pays for student access to this site, which allows them to take practice exams and receive customized study plans. The site has never been used as much as it should be because of some issues teachers have had when trying to use it. I was able to get my school's AP coordinator to agree to give me site coordinator privileges this week so that I could figure out some of these issues and call tech support for help. I managed to learn quite a bit about the site, its features, and teacher access, so I put together a couple of sets of directions with screen shots to help teachers and students get started.
I also continued to work on the Edline blended delivery course. This week we started adding discussion prompts. The teacher wanted it set up so that all comments had to be approved before being added to the forum. Because students are working on the course outside of class, she did not want students to be able respond to the question by simply reading everyone else's posts. She wanted to try to make sure students did their own work.
No comments:
Post a Comment